Week 7: Creating a Simple Calculator

This week I attempted to code a game with my GUI and Tkinter using the code that I have created in a different week with the text-based game that I created.  I discovered that this was actually A LOT more advanced than I had anticipated. However, the learning gained through this process was valuable.

One of my struggles last week was to figure out how to make buttons disappear when they are clicked.  That was a success.  This was due to the online forum Stack Exchange which allows people to ask questions about their code.

I am currently finding it difficult to take my code and apply the attack and heal buttons to execute the math equations that I want it to do.  This has turned out to be the current delay of the game.

I seem to be stuck in a cycle of trying to figure out why something is NOT working, as well as trying to figure out what something IS working.   In coding, there is something called Rubber Duck debugging. This involves talking through code to your rubber duck in the hopes that talking through your problem we can understand what the issue is.  As strange and silly as this may sound, this could be used in a lot of other applications.  Imagine a situation where we can encourage students to decipher and problem solve by taking the problem, decomposing the problem into smaller pieces.  Recognize patterns, filter information, and organize steps in order to solve problems. By talking through problems to my rubber duck (yes, I have one on my bookshelf next to my computer) it allows me to troubleshoot by myself, then I can take my issues to the next level asking for help. Imagine if we trained students to use this level of thinking and independence? This way of thinking also is the foundation of Computational Thinking.

However, in my frustration, I decided to take on another challenge.  Building a simple calculator.  Using the GeeksforGeeks website, I was able to discover a tool that walking me step by step into creating a working calculator.  Now, this calculator that I have created could be improved.  And I feel as I may switch gears in the future to see how I could implement something such as brackets, exponents to add on to my calculator.  My hope is that I can take these skills from this activity and apply them to complete my game in the future.

Below is my video that talks about the calculator that I have created this week using Tkinter and Python:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s